Sunday, November 16, 2008

Introducing my new best friend, MICHELLE OBAMA!

A BIFFLE IS:
one's BFFL, or Best Friend For Life. (via)
This is the role I want Michelle Obama to play in my life.

I'm really taken by the way the media has depicted MO as one smart and tough cookie (for lack of a better description.) Therefore, the purpose of this site is to challenge mainstream notions imposed on the First Family elect, and the impact of having the first woman of color as First Lady in the White House. It's such an exciting time for Americans post this 2008 election. Please watch the mini-bio I posted on MO below, produced and endorsed on the Obama-Biden Youtube page, and narrated by Michelle's mother. Incredibly touching!


You must admit, that there is a certain something about the First Family elect. While in no way do I want to appropriate what this may mean for Black/African-American women everywhere, I will say that I am particularly attached to Michelle Obama/Mrs. O (MO) by the sole factor that I am also woman of color living in the United States. The overall goodness that is emitted by the MO and her family is just ridiculous! I don't know if all the difference in the world was made by their stylists or their campaign marketing strategy, but I am sold on CHANGECHANGECHANGE. However, I am more than prepared to bite my tongue, should my hopes be dashed after January 20, 2009, and the problematic waterfall comes a tumbling.

It's really pushed me to think about how Americans perceive race, privilege, upward mobility, citizenship, and who is entitled to the "American Dream" in the United States. I'm really interested in seeing the quantitative and qualitative implications of this victory, symbolic or otherwise, in terms of bringing about a mobilizing, politically charged revival in the Black community, and other communities (POCs and women) for that matter.

But let's take some baby steps, and let's just see how this goes! :)

HOW DO YOU FEEL?
Do you have any reservations about the results of this historical election? How do you hope the first family of color will affect your life as a person living in the United States?
Please leave comments below! (no account required!)

4 comments:

  1. oy, i didn't know what biffle meant so i got really confused. hmmm... when i think first poc family- i think of the cosby show and Family Matters. middle class black families, these shows were the stuff i was raised on. Every TGIF I looked forward to seeing The Winslows. My brain has already been programmed to think of the first family just like the Winslows. Growin' up in a chicago suburb. Very connected with the community. being raised on good family values. mmmmhmmmm. mom and dad workin' hard. i just wonder who's going to be the urkel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cris, thank you for being my first comment! i think that exploring the Cosby Show and Family Matters , and comparing them to the media treatment of the Obamas would make for a worthwhile mini investigation! in that mini-project, i'd really like to think about the racial representation of these families in mainstream media.

    thank you for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just scanned this blog-since I can read it in its entirety while at work haha- but I am loving it so far...I've always been fascinated with Michelle Obama's life/history- so iconic and worthy of worship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, pauline! :) thanks so much for visiting, i really appreciate it! hope you comeback on Monday and read up...i really wanna know what you think!

    (I looked at your blog, and let me tell you...I'm doing a MO fashion entry soon; hope you find that one interesting!)

    ReplyDelete